@MattRexrode on Twitter

Thursday, July 11, 2013

South Slope/Gowanus I Think?

The boundaries that outline the already huge neighborhood of Park Slope seem be in a state of expansion as people, and especially property owners, want some “slope” in the title of their place of residence. Our new neck of the woods here in Brooklyn, known at this time as something like South Slope/ Gowanus, is a mix of young professionals, Hispanics and hipsters. Much like Long Island City, we hear from Brooklyn natives that this area has gone through some really incredible gentrification in the past decade. So far we have felt very safe and at home here.  

With moving to a new part of NYC comes a strange sort of pressure that I must discover all that the new neighborhood has to offer, ASAP. I mean really, there seems to be so much to do and so little time, especially as a rookie 9-5er. The summer season only adds to this, as warm weather means there are even more events to consider. I’m attempting to soak up as much as I can about what goes on in our new nabe by noticing local papers and fliers in businesses, following Twitter feeds like Brooklyn News and reading local blogs like Park Slope Stoop. I even joined a couple of local groups on meetup.com.


While scrolling though different Brooklyn event websites on my phone during a lunch break this week, I realized that many great local resources were recommending the free NY Philharmonic concert in Prospect Park last night. So around eight, we strolled up 14th St to the park and enjoyed a picnic dinner at the Long Meadow ball fields with a soundtrack of live classical music. The warm summer breeze, bright fireflies, and the thousands of our newest neighbors surrounding us made our decision to move to Brooklyn feel very right.

I'm running out of power on my laptop and my eyelids are getting pretty heavy, so you'll have to wait to hear about our new dog walker... talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment