@MattRexrode on Twitter

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Moving On Up

Just days after signing a lease here in Brooklyn, Jen was told that she would be moved from the Downtown Fed building to an offsite Barclays Bank location in Midtown. This is not ideal for many reasons, mostly because we moved to Brooklyn to be closer to both our workplaces and the location Jen was transferred to is just fifteen minutes from our old apartment in LIC. Jen’s been busy getting her new team organized, making friends, and trying to make the best of the situation but really misses working Downtown.

So when my boss called me into his office and told me that I would be leaving the first floor rehab gym my mouth fell open and I asked, “Am I at least staying in the building?” He laughed and said, “Um, yes.” It turned out that a few doctors were in need of an office so they took over a small gym on our first floor and moved a couple of people around. For whatever reason, it was decided that a PT, an OT, and I would be given a brand new gym on the 3rd floor to make room for the therapists that were being kicked out by the doctors.  As with most things, there are pros and cons to moving floors, but as long as I was to stay in the building I was open to the change. It was a challenge last week while we waited for the computer, printer, and phone to be installed, with online paperwork piling up in the meantime.  Although much less drastic than Jen’s I, too, am trying to make the best of my move. At least we’ve got a brand new PT gym with a fresh coat of paint and a view of the Statue of Liberty from our big windows.


The question that I’m most frequently asked these days is how the new job is going. It’s going well I answer. When Jen’s asked how I’m doing she usually responds with, “He’s good, just having a hard time adapting to the 9 to 5 work schedule.” This is a true statement. I worry, though, that people will assume I don’t like what I do or that I just haven’t found the right job yet.  That’s not the case. What I always try to convey is that there’s nothing I would like to do for eight hours a day. Playing with Pup, making art from random things, going out with Jen, practicing yoga, or whatever else I like to do would all get old after a while… yes, even hanging out with Jen. 

After a quick Google search on work-life balance, I quickly found I’m not the only one with “itchy feet.” There are entire websites, personal blogs, and researchers devoted to the people who, like me, get antsy after working in one place for a short while. Not to worry, I’m not looking for another job or anything. I think I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be right now, which is one of the best centers for sub-acute rehab in NYC.  Not a bad place to be. I know there’s a compromise out there; I just don’t know what that is yet. After getting some experience under my belt, I’d like to explore more flexible jobs within physical therapy, like part-time coverage or homecare. I hear the increased pay rate offsets the decreased hours. But hey, if Jen continues to be promoted at her current break-neck speed, I’ll be back to my stay-at-home, trophy husband status in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment